Located on Howland Island, a 648-acre uninhabited island halfway between Hawaii and Australia, Earhart Light truly stands alone in the middle of nowhere. In 1937, a runway was built on the island for Amelia Earhart to be able to refuel while on her circumnavigation of the globe. Unfortunately, she and Fred J. Noonan never made it. The island was briefly occupied during WWII, but attacks by the Japanese air and naval armies led to an evacuation and the partial destruction of the lighthouse — though it was rebuilt in the 1960s. Earhart Light, named in memory of the aviator and located on the west coast of the remote island, is used as a day beacon, but it is in very poor condition. Howland Island is a National US Refuge and can only be accessed with a permit.