A true paradise not only for philatelists, but also for all those who are interested in the history of the state as depicted in the stamps. Here you will see a variety of stamps issued since 1912, engraving equipment, and documentation of how the postage industry developed in the principality.
For a long time Liechtenstein did not have its own state postal service, only a private one. The first known postal connection was the Lindau Messenger, a service that transported letters, parcels, remittances and travellers between Lindau and Milan for several centuries until its closure in 1826. Messengers delivered the letters to or collected them from inns. From the 18th century at the latest, a distribution centre of this kind existed in Liechtenstein, at an inn in Balzers named the ‘Gasthof Rössle’ or ‘Gasthof Post’, though Balzers is mentioned as early as 1627 as a rest stop for the Lindau Messenger. Documents also show that from the 17th century onwards Liechtenstein also had its own official state messenger responsible for transporting letters and packages sent by the state. Village messengers were also in use.